It is located on the Rhine river opposite Mannheim.
The Rhine had become a frontier and the Rheinschanze, cut off politically from Mannheim, lost its function as the neighbouring city's military bulwark.In 1808, during the French occupation, Carl Hornig of Mannheim purchased the fortress from the French authorities and turned it into a way station for passing river traffic.War returned to the Ludwigshafen area with the armies of the French Revolution.The palace at Oggersheim was burned down, Mannheim besieged several times, and all the area west of the Rhine annexed by France from 1798 to 1813. The eastern bank of the Rhine with Mannheim and Heidelberg was given to Baden, while the western bank (including the Ludwigshafen area) was granted to Bavaria, following the Wars of Liberation (1813-1815), in which the French were expelled.Real growth began with industrialization, and gained enormous momentum in Ludwigshafen due to its ideal transport facilities.
In addition to its excellent position and harbor facilities on the Rhine, a railway connecting Ludwigshafen with the Saar coalfields was completed in 1849.Oggersheim in particular gained some importance, after the construction of both a small palace serving as secondary residence for the Elector, and the famous pilgrimage church, Wallfahrtskirche.For some weeks in 1782, the great German writer and playwright Friedrich Schiller lived in Oggersheim, on flight from his native Württemberg).Known primarily as an industrial city, Ludwigshafen is the home of chemical giant BASF, as well as other companies.Among its cultural facilities are the Staatsphilharmonie Rheinland-Pfalz. the Romans conquered the region, and a Roman auxiliary fort was constructed near the present suburb of Rheingönheim.It is the birthplace of the former German chancellor Helmut Kohl and the philosopher Ernst Bloch. In antiquity, Celtic and Germanic tribes settled in the Rhine Neckar area. The Middle Ages saw the foundation of some of Ludwigshafen's future suburbs, including Oggersheim, Maudach, Oppau and Mundenheim; most of the area, however, remained swampland, its development hindered by seasonal flood of the Rhine river.